BRIEF HISTORY OF ST. THOMAS' ROAD METHODIST CHURCH DERBY
THE WAR MEMORIAL 1914 - 1918
ST THOMAS’ ROAD METHODIST CHURCH
Primitive Methodist records indicate that the society we now have at St. Thomas’ Road has its origins as far back as 1818.
The second Primitive Methodist Church in Derby was in an old barn at the corner of Browning Street, Normanton, Derby. The building was nicknamed “The Cathedral” and served as the home for the society for more than sixty years.
In 1891 an iron building was erected in nearby Sackville Street. This building served until 1907 and then land was obtained on St. Thomas’ Road and a new church was built. The inscription on the wall of the church to be “PRIMITIVE METHODIST 1907”
This building is now the Church Hall, a new church being built in 1967
THE WAR MEMORIAL 1914 – 1918
The memorial is dedicated to the fallen but also contains the names of the fought and returned.
ARTHUR HARDY – died of wounds at home 22.10.1915 – buried in Nottingham Road Cemetery, Derby. Aged 22years.
JOHN HENRY WILLIAMSON – Sherwood Foresters – died 4.4.1917 aged 19years.
WILLIAM ILLSTON – Sherwood Foresters – died of wounds at home 29.4.1917
FREDERICK THOMPSON – Sherwood Foresters – died of wounds 28.9.1917- buried at Dozinghem British Cemetery, Poperinghe, France.
ALBERT EDWARD HICKENBOTHAM – Royal Field Artillery died 22.3.1918 aged 30years
THE PATH OF DUTY WAS THEIR WAY TO GLORY
FOUGHT AND RETURNED
J. T. RILEY
A. E. WEBSTER
H. S. SLATER
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY OUR CHURCH IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN AND THANKSGIVING TO GOD FOR THE RETURNED