Lostwithiel - Taprell House - St Austell Circuit

WW1 Memorials

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Methodism in Lostwithiel

The first Wesley Chapel was built on King Street about 1790, a year after John Wesley visited the town. A new Wesley Chapel was built on Norman Lane in 1880 and the original was converted into private dwellings. The ‘new’ chapel was closed in 1965 due to poor attendance.

In the meantime a Primitive Methodist Chapel was opened on Cott Road in 1858 and was closed in 1933 after the Methodists were reunited in 1932. This building is now also a private dwelling.

Lostwithiel United Free Methodist Church was constructed on The Bank (renamed Albert Terrace in 1846 after the visit of Queen Victoria and Albert). This chapel was rebuilt in the late 1890’s and was reopened in 1900 becoming known locally as Bank Methodist Chapel. This chapel was closed in 1987 and converted into apartments and the local Methodists met in nearby St Saviours Church (Anglican) on Grenville Road until part of the newly refurbished Taprell House in North Street was suitably converted and opened as a Methodist Church in 1993 where we continue to meet.

Memorials

It is likely that the larger of the two First World War memorial plaques originated from Bank Chapel which probably also housed the smaller plaque (likely to be from the Wesley Chapel and moved when it closed in 1965) – but both derive from the local community and contain surnames which are still extant in the Town and surrounding locality.

Probably United Methodist Free Church Lostwithiel (Bank Chapel) Queen Street

To the Glory of God and in memory of men of this church who fell in the Great War 1914-18

T Ackland       H Copplestone     G Tullett
H Bennett       T Matthews          H Tullett 
R Benney        W L Parnall         T Willoughby
W Benney       W J Reed            H Vine
A Challice        P Searle

Also in grateful recognition of those who served

E Bennett                S Heard               S Northcott
L Bennett                Andrew Hoar        R Parnall
L Benney                A Honey               N Parnall
P Brown                  S Honey               S Parsons
E G Carne               T Honey               T Parsons
W H Chapman         E A Hopping        B Phillips
F G Collings            C Jeffery              S Phillips
E T Cook                 E Jeffery              W Phillips
W J Cook                J Jeffery               W J Phillips
J H Copplestone      W Jeffery             T Prout
W J Copplestone      F E Jones            P Reed
G Daniell Senr         J J Jones             W Redmon
G Daniell Junr          J W Jones           A Sturgess
E H Dingle               G Knight              C Truscott
W W Dingle              A Lean                C Tullett
C Ham                     R Levers              C Vincent
F Ham                     E Liddicoat           E Vincent
R Ham                     R O Liddicoat       G Vincent
P H Hancock            J Matthews          J Vincent
R Harvey                 S Matthews          J T Wellington
E Heard                   W J Netherton     H N Whell

Probably Wesley Chapel Lostwithiel – Norman Road

Erected in memory of the men connected with this church who fell in the Great War 1914-19

Joseph Coad
Henry Heaynes
Harry Lean
Evelyn Lamerton
Arthur Mitchell
Fred Nicholls
Henry Rowe

Also in appreciation of the services of many others whose safe return is thankfully acknowledged 

 

Comments about this page

  • My grandmother’s oldest brother was Archie Challice mentioned on the Queen Street memorial. He is also named on the Town memorial on the Quay.

    His grave is in Chadderton Cemetery in Oldham where he died from wounds received in France. He appears to have been hospitalised twice and then put on light duties in Yorkshire.

    He was 18 when he died.

    By Mark Andrew Cleave (19/09/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *