Ely Methodist Church
WW1 Memorial and Roll of Honour
Situated in the Ely Methodist Church, Cambridgeshire is a First War Memorial in the form of a Brass Plaque as depicted on the photograph below.
Inscribed on it are eight names which also includes their respective regiments.
The names are as follows:
Lieut. Stanley R. Aspland 61st Batt M.G.C.
Colour Sergt. Major Frank Lambert 1st Cambs. Regt.
Pte. Thomas H. Bruce 14th Warwick Regt.
Pte. Edward Cox 1st Cambs. Regt.
Pte. Charles Haylock 11th West Surrey Regt.
Pte. Arnold P. Lemmon 6th Northampton Regt.
Pte. John Pate 11th Suffolk Regt.
Pte. Charles Shelton 1st Cambs. Regt.
On an attached plate: 1939 – 45 F/E Sergt. Dennis A. Page R.A.F.
Originally, before the Church was re-ordered, this plaque was mounted on front of the ornate pulpit.
The mid 1980s photograph of the church after some re-ordering is shown below.
A 1950s photograph shows the position of the brass plaque on the pulpit.
The next photograph is a close-up of the pulpit in the 1950s.
The brass memorial plaque is now mounted on the wall opposite the organ.
What also existed was a very elaborate framed Roll of Honour depicting all those associated with the Church who served in the War. This depicts the regiment in which the persons served. At the end of 2011, for preservation, it was decided to deposit it in the Cambridgeshire Archives. This original was removed from its frame and photographed and a quality print (at reduced size) was obtained and framed.
This is now situated alongside the Memorial Brass as shown.
Quality photographs of the original after removal from the original frame just before permanent archiving.
Ely Methodist (formerly Wesleyan) Church is now in the Ely and Newmarket Circuit 14/5 of the East Anglia Methodist District.
It is situated in Chapel Street, CB6 1AD and the location can be found on
Ordnance Survey Map 1:50 000 First Series – 143 Ely and Wisbech Ref: 53 9 80 5