Brightholmlee Methodist Chapel was founded in 1807 (the year slavery was abolished) and has been open and in continuous use for Christian Worship from the day it opened until the time of writing (2022).
The attached document was produced to celebrate the 140th Anniversary in 1947 and provides some details of the Church’s history up to that date; the first two photos are taken from this document and the colour photo was taken in 2007 at the time of the Church’s 200th Anniversary.
The Chapel building has undergone a few changes in its history. The first major change was when an upper floor was created to accommodate an upstairs space for Worship and a downstairs space for Sunday School; an extension was also built to the rear to house a kitchen and toilet facilities. In 1954, its roof had to be replaced after dry rot was discovered in the rafters and in 1964, new (recycled) pews were fitted (these curved pews were acquired following the unfortunate closure of Owlerton Methodist Church), the upper floor levelled and the stone stairs removed and modernised. The last major change was when a side extension was added to create disabled access to both floors.
It is located at: https://goo.gl/maps/aX7nHCUbB8Nz9G7D8