Northampton Wellingborough Road Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Northamptonshire

1 Northampton Wellingborough Road Wesleyan Reform Chapel,roof and glazed frontage, 10.7.2019
2 Northampton Wellingborough Road Wesleyan Reform Chapel, rear gable, 10.7.2019
3 Northampton Wellingborough Road Wesleyan Reform Chapel, entrance, 10.7.2019
4 Northampton Wellingborough Road Wesleyan Reform Chapel, name and date roundel, 10.7.2019

Wellingborough Road Wesleyan Reform Chapel was erected in 1852 and rebuilt in 1873 at a cost of £800. It was a brick structure with stone facings and it seated 350. It was noted in a directory of 1885 but by 1895 the building was occupied by the Salvation Army. It was situated between Vernon Street and West Street. In recent years the building has been converted into a bar and restaurant. A glazed extension (photograph 1) has been erected over the front of the building but the main façade survives, albeit painted white, and is clearly visible. Its configuration suggests that the chapel had a semi-basement, probably a schoolroom, with chapel above reached by a flight of steps. The most interesting feature is the roundel bearing the name and date of construction (photographs 3 & 4). The presence of surrounding buildings means that only small parts of the building can now be seen (photographs 1 & 2)
Sources
Francis Whellan, History, Topography, and Directory of Northamptonshire, 1874 p142
Kelly’s Directory of Northamptonshire, 1885 and 1895
25 inch OS Maps Northamptonshire XLV 10
Site visit 10.07.2019

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *