Longtown Chapel was built of brick in 1865-6. The Chapel had 200 sittings in 1924. The chapel was 40 feet by 30 feet and in 1941 it had 200 sittings in pews and on forms. There was also a school, 24 feet square and 2 vestries. There were also four houses each containing four rooms, one of which was occupied by the caretaker. By 1980 and 1991 the sittings had been increased to 250 and there were two other rooms. The chapel remains in use as a Methodist place of worship.
Longtown Chapel was built of red brick with white brick facings and bandings in a classical style . Among smaller chapels it is unusual in both respects. Netherhouse (WM 1833) and Skelton (PM 1865) are similar in style but both were built with the local stone. The nearest contemporary parallel is probably Alston (WM 1867) which is classical in style and was built of pale yellow stone was with red sandstone facings. Temple Sowerby (WM 1872) has white bricks and red sandstone facings but is in the gothic style. Whatever the thinking behind this preference for contrast the main effect was to make the buildings stand out among their stone built or rendered neighbours
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/3/9 UM Special returns re seating
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940, 1980, 1991
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/8/3
Site visit 12.3.2016