Kendal, Longpool and Sandilands, Westmorland

Kendal, Longpool WM Mission Chapel, Westmorland

Longpool Mission used the upper room of an existing building purchased in 1898. It was situated on the  west side of Longpool between the railway bridge and Far Cross Bank and was accessed from Wool Yard. The room measured 30 feet by 24 feet. It had a rostrum at one end, a harmonium and a heating stove. There is an image in Bryer, p.10. The building was sold in the 1930s and replaced by a new chapel erected in Sandylands Road.

Sources:

Cumbria Archives Service , Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archives Service , Kendal  WDFCM1/6/4  seating returns 1891

Carlisle Library, IC9 KEN 287 Bryer, T Percy, A History of Methodism in Kendal, Kirby Lonsdale and Sedbergh, 1987

 

Kendal, Sandylands Methodist Chapel, Sandylands Road, Westmorland, LA9 6EU

The first Sandylands Chapel was built in 1937. In 1940 it seated 150 on chairs and there were two other rooms. It was replaced in 1954 by a building which seated 80 in 1980. There was one other room.

Sources

Carlisle Library, IC9 KEN 287 Bryer, T Percy, A History of Methodism in Kendal, Kirby Lonsdale and Sedbergh, 1987

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Site visit 19.11.2016

 

Kendal, Sandylands Methodist Church, facade, 19.11.2016
G W Oxley
Kendal, Sandylands Methodist Church, foundation stone, 1953, 19.11.2016
G W Oxley
Kendal, Sandylands Methodist Church,back view, 19.11.2016
G W Oxley
Kendal, Sandylands Methodist Church,side view, 19.11.2016
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone