Cotehill UM, Chapel, Cumberland
Grid ref NY467504
Cotehill Chapel had 80 sittings in 1924. A road widening scheme developed in the 1930s required the demolition of the chapel which was closed when the new chapel opened in 1937.
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/3/9 UM Special returns re seating
Cotehill Methodist Chapel, Cumberland
Grid ref NY468505
Cotehill Chapel was built of brick in 1937 to replace the old UMFC chapel whose site was required for road widening. It was designed by J S Stout of Whitehaven.
The building consisted of a chapel 30 feet by 18 feet entered through a porch projecting from the gable end facing the road. The rostrum was opposite the entrance and behind it was a classroom and another room. The contractor was R Bell and his bill came to £595.0.3. The site cost £63.15.0 and the furnishings £44.17.6. The building is basic and utilitarian and was probably deigned to cost as little as possible more than the compensation received for the loss of the old chapel.
In 1941 it had 90 sittings in pews. There was also a schoolroom 18 feet by 12 feet. By 1980 the sittings had been reduced to 65. It is still in use as a Methodist place of worship.
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/8/3 Notes relating to the 1940 accommodation returns
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/3/27 plans for the new chapel
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/3/29 accounts for the new chapel
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940, 1980, 1991
Site visit 10th February 2016