Carlisle, Newtown Road Chapel, Cumberland
189 Newtown Road, CA2 7NL
Newtown Road Chapel was built as a Mission Hall by the Presbyterians in 1911. It was being served by Methodist preachers from 1950 and sometime after 1980 the freehold was acquired. In 1990 the chapel seated 150 and there were two other rooms. The chapel continues to be used as a Methodist Place of Worship.
The building is of brick with sandstone surrounds to the openings, most of which are plain rectangles. The exceptions are the doorway and the window above which are surmounted by low gothic arches.
Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle CA/E4/14057 Building by law plans for Presbyterian mission hall
Huggon, John, Carlisle Methodism, Part 3, Cumbria Wesley Historical Society, 75, Spring 2015, p10 -11
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1980, 1991)
Site visit 9th January 2014