Bigrigg, Chapel Street UM Chapel, Cumberland
Grid ref NY002134
The original building and improvements up to 1923, when it had 120 sittings, had cost £200 for the chapel and £150 for the school. In 1940 it had 150 sittings on pews. The chapel was situated in a row of workmen’s cottages within a larger estate of similar buildings. In the post war era they were all swept away and replaced by modern houses and bungalows. It is now difficult to be sure where the site of the chapel was but it is commemorated in one of the roads on the new estate called Chapel Street.
Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM2/40
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940
Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven DFCM2/431
NLS 25” OS Cumberland LXVII. 15 1899
Site visit 23.9.2017